Program Specialist - Special Education
Start Date: Rolling application/start date
The DLC is seeking an exceptional PROGRAM SPECIALIST who is excited to share in our mission of dramatically improving educational opportunities for diverse learners. We believe that students of all abilities and backgrounds deserve to have access to high quality, inclusive educational opportunities led by empowered and effective educators. The Diverse Learners Cooperative is a nonprofit organization that connects teachers and leaders with professional learning, resources, and networks that propel best practices for diverse learners and increase teacher retention.
As a program specialist, you’ll lead efforts to improve accessibility for diverse learners in partnership with schools and education-focused organizations throughout the Nashville area. You will work with school teams to understand context, identify challenges to learner accessibility, recommend possible solutions, and support implementation of improved practices. You will collaborate with site-based teachers and leaders, as well as the DLC team to ensure fidelity and excellence.
This position is a full time role, and requires comfortability with working across multiple school sites in Nashville.
Program specialists support a portfolio of schools and education-focused organizations to improve academic and behavioral outcomes for diverse learners (with a focus on students with disabilities).
1. Program Reviews: Leading diverse learner program reviews to diagnose academic and/or behavioral needs, and develop a comprehensive plan aligned with partners’ goals and next steps.
2. Direct Service: Working closely with partners to support development of resources and implementation of action plans that improve diverse learner outcomes.
a. This includes serving as the primary point of contact to answer partners’ questions and help locate key resources and research to solve urgent challenges.
b. This may also include opportunities to build relationships with key stakeholders through coaching around how to incorporate best instructional and behavioral practices for students with disabilities.
c. Program specialists will consistently collect relevant data to guide implementation of school action plans and adjust course when needed.
3. Professional Learning: Designing and facilitating interactive professional learning experiences with rich training materials and a focus on application and accountability.
a. This includes offering sessions that are either on-site with schools or on a virtual platform.
b. Program specialists will support the development of teacher-leader fellows within our Teacher-Leader Fellowship program, through school site visits and professional learning sessions.
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, especially those similar to educators and students we serve, knowing that this will drive us closer to our vision. Team members are inspired by the mission of serving students furthest from opportunity, believe deeply in advancing anti-racism, have the ability to cultivate strong relationships, and demonstrate commitment to continuous learning and reflection. As a growing non-profit, you play an integral role in shaping our organization’s growth and impact - and we’d expect all team members to assume ownership in this effort.
We expect Program Specialists to have:
- 5+ years of diverse learner educational experience, including 2+ years of experience with system-level leadership or system improvement initiatives
- Advanced degree in Special Education and/or certification as a behavior analyst (BCBA) preferred
- Experience leading professional development for a school or district, with strong public presentation skills and ability to provide thoughtful and compelling insights
- Deep knowledge of evidence-based strategies for increasing outcomes for students with exceptional needs, strong instructional instincts, and experience across variety of settings
- Data driven orientation with understanding of the shifts required for students, teachers, and leaders to best meet needs of diverse learners
- Ability to be flexible, self-motivated, positive, and respond to the dynamics of a changing environment as a strategic thinker and natural solution-seeker
- Strong team orientation, collaborative nature, and ability to engage across various work environments
- Ability to interact professionally with individuals from various professional and cultural backgrounds and effectively adjust communication style for a given audience
- Ability to plan strategically, organize and prioritize projects, work on multiple tasks simultaneously and to exercise initiative to successfully meet/exceed deadlines and goals
- Proficiency in G Suite Tools (Docs, Forms, Sheets, etc)
DLC believes in creating a high performing and sustainable workplace and is committed to attracting and retaining diverse team members who believe in equipping and empowering school teams to serve all learners.
A job at DLC encompassess competitive benefits, compensation commensurate with experience, professional development opportunities, and a team that cares about you as a person. Current benefits offered by the DLC include: health, dental, and vision insurance; competitive salaries; encourages flexible working locations; generous vacation time and office rest days; technology stipend; and a healthy professional development budget for self-directed learning.
Salary range for this position: $64,000 - $78,000.
Please submit your application, including your resume and cover letter. The selection process will include a performance task as well as interviews with members of the Diverse Learners Cooperative team.
Diverse Learners Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor. We encourage talented individuals of all backgrounds to apply
Your application has been successfully submitted.