Development Data Coordinator
First Book has a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy (medical and religious exemptions permitted)
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches over 550,000 educators nationwide with an additional 750 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position: (This is not a 100% remote position)
The Development Coordinator is an essential part of the First Book team, providing critical support for the Vice President of Development, Director of Development, and the entire Development department which raises funds from and with individuals, foundations, and community volunteers in support of the organization’s goals and mission.
The position demands the highest attention to detail, the ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced multi-function environment, a desire to work efficiently and improve systems and processes, and a passion for internal and external customer service.
We’re looking for an energetic person who is excited about being ‘in the know’ on everything the department is doing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage/oversee donor database in Salesforce including the accurate entry of all donation information into database (manual and automated)
• Generate and customize donor acknowledgement letters and other correspondence to ensure timeliness of communications to donors.
• Create, customize, and manage all donor lists, fundraising and revenue reports, and dashboards using Salesforce and Classy ensuring data accuracy.
• Creation and maintenance of campaigns in Salesforce and Classy.
Project manage monthly donor book club including content coordination, list management, and fulfillment.
• Work proactively with the Finance department to ensure accuracy in donation records, including assistance with reconciliations.
• Assist with donor relations, donor communications and campaigns, and grant applications and reports.
• Proactively contribute to problem-solving, team brainstorms, strategic and operational planning exercises.
• Represent Development team at internal interdepartmental planning, data management, and IT meetings.
• Manage the prioritization process of Development tickets with IT department.
• Research and create detailed profiles for major donor and foundation grant prospects.
• Manage the development of standard protocols and systems management.
• Various administrative duties and other tasks as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
• Associate’s or equivalent experience required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Two years fundraising or nonprofit experience highly preferred; customer service experience a plus.
Experience with Salesforce required; Salesforce Admin Certification or equivalent experience is a plus.
• Experience with Classy or comparable peer to peer fundraising system, Pardot or comparable email and list management system, and/or Confluence and Jira for knowledge and case management a very strong plus.
• High degree of proficiency in MS Office including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Desire to collaborate to build a robust development program.
Those who thrive at First Book tend to possess these qualities:
• Highly detail-oriented, loves problem-solving and working with systems.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; strong and patient presence on the phone.
• Must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and multi-task with ease.
• An entrepreneurial spirit, this is core to First Book’s DNA. Must be a tenacious self-starter with intellectual curiosity.
• A passion for First Book’s mission and vision for the future.
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
• Hybrid work environment - can work from home and office
• Dental & medical insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Vacation leave
• Sick leave
• Twelve Annual Holidays
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits
Candidates are invited to submit a resume, and a cover letter that details your interest in the position to http://firstbook.force.com/careers. If you need assistance applying, please reach out to us at 202-499-5935.
Your application has been successfully submitted.