Online Reading Teacher / Literacy Specialist
Location: Remote and Flexible
Hoot Reading is the leading expert in online literacy tutoring, connecting elementary school students with experienced teachers to advance their reading skills. We are mission driven and intentionally designed to provide children with equitable access to personalized, one-to-one, evidence-based literacy instruction from a distance.
Hoot Reading is currently seeking teachers across Canada and the United States to join our Teacher Network to help young students boost their reading skills – phonemic awareness, decoding, fluency and comprehension. Lessons are 20 minutes and often scheduled 2 to 4 times a week to make the most impact and educational gains. Teachers listen and provide constructive instruction in real-time with children from K to Gr.4 at a range of reading levels and struggling readers up to Gr. 8.
- We are open 8 am-8 pm CT and can schedule your hours based on your availability
- Sessions are to be completed virtually, from your home
- Compatible computer or tablet with video camera and microphone required
- Reliable internet service is required
- Additional earnings are available for teacher referrals or assisting with special projects
- The opportunity to participate in an innovation in educational technology that has great potential for scale.
- Our peak times are currently Monday-Friday evenings, 3-7 pm CT, and Saturdays during the day. Teachers who can give consistent availability 3+ times a week within these hours will be prioritized
- Sessions are pre-scheduled so, the ability to maintain a consistent schedule is ideal for our students
- Keep notes and provide feedback – We ask for a quick 3-minute feedback report after each session
- Able to self-motivate!
REQUIRED EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years of classroom experience in a K-6 classroom
- Passion for literacy and guided reading
- Criminal records/child abuse registry check will be performed on your behalf
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Improving equitable access to teachers through evidence-based, one-to-one, reading lessons