Algebra Success Program Manager
The Urban Assembly (UA) is seeking an energetic and inspired Algebra Success Program Manager, who will contribute to the UA’s efforts to increase postsecondary opportunities for 8th and 9th graders by ensuring students are equipped with the content and opportunity to experience success in Algebra.
This is an opportunity to join an engaged, collaborative, mission-driven staff and to take part in the critical work of advancing the social and economic mobility of NYC students and students around the country. This position reports to the Director of Algebra Success, collaborates with staff across the Program team, and involves on-site work with schools (in the Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn; with the majority of schools for this role likely located in the Bronx), days at Urban Assembly’s office in Manhattan’s Financial District, and work from home.
The Urban Assembly
The Urban Assembly’s mission is to advance students’ social and economic mobility by improving public education. The UA provides schools and districts with innovative data-driven, student-centered approaches to career and technical education, academics, social-emotional learning, and postsecondary access and success. The (UA) founded a network of unique, small public secondary schools throughout NYC. UA schools are open to all students, and our goal is to prepare 100% of UA graduates for success in the 21st-century economy.
The UA’s Commitment to Equity
The UA values the uniqueness that each student brings into our schools, and our work honors the various social and cultural contexts from which they come. We acknowledge the historical barriers created by education systems to perpetuate the social inequities that keep students of color from accessing postsecondary and career opportunities - and commit to dismantling these barriers.
The Algebra Success Program Manager is deeply committed to UA’s mission and commitment to equity. The Program Manager will execute the expansion of our highly successful Algebra Success program by coaching and leading professional learning. All of the Program Manager’s work will be grounded in these key beliefs:
- We believe that students should be at the center of the classroom, and that every student must have access to rigorous mathematical content.
- We support pedagogical practices which give all students opportunities to engage in the mathematical practices around meaningful mathematical ideas in ways that increase student voice and agency.
The ideal candidate is excellent at building relationships, highly organized, a talented coach, and is relentless in improving student outcomes through supporting planning, pedagogy, and analysis of formative student work. This role calls for an agile contributor, who can split their time coaching at school sites, leading professional development (virtually and in person), and collaborating with teammates at our central office in downtown Manhattan and remotely.
- Lead a professional learning community that creates buy-in and community around the Algebra Success model
- Establish and maintain relationships across a portfolio of 8-10 schools
- Coach teachers in the Algebra Success model
- Liaise with school and district leaders to ensure programming is aligned with other priorities
- Maintain excellent records on coaching and follow up with schools in a timely fashion
- Collect and analyze data to determine the impact of coaching and professional learning
- Work with schools to coordinate the administration of benchmark assessments for Algebra and support teachers to analyze the results to inform classroom practice
- Manage projects and responsibilities with independence
- Monitor the impact of work through network metrics and adjust programmatic inputs based on data and feedback
- Adjust and refine Algebra Success curriculum, as needed
- Collaborate with the UA team to ensure alignment with organizational goals
- 5+ years of teaching experience preferred
- 2+ years of coaching experience, and/or equivalent adult development work prefered
- Content and pedagogy expertise in middle and/or high school mathematics, with specific focus and background in Algebra
- Fluency with using data to support decision making
Due to a non-compete clause, we are unable to hire staff directly out of DOE schools or central offices, but former DOE staff (out of the system for more than 1 year) are encouraged to apply.
Please note that as contractors of the New York City Department of Education, all employees of the Urban Assembly are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or request a Religious or Medical Accommodation.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary range for this position is $78,000 - $88,000 and includes an excellent benefits package, including: employer-funded healthcare, monthly MetroCard reimbursement, phone stipend, financial support for professional development, and generous vacation time.
Interested applicants, please email a resume and cover letter with “Algebra Success Program Manager” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
What to Expect: The UA team will review applications on a rolling basis. Candidates moving forward in the interview process will be contacted by email regarding a phone screening, followed by a virtual interview and a performance task. If you will be requesting accommodation for the application process, please reach out to our Chief of Staff, Gillian Finley (email@example.com).
Our target start date is August 15, 2022 but can be flexible. This position will remain open until filled.
Your application has been successfully submitted.