Trainee Consulting Analyst
**This position will begin on October 3rd. The deadline to apply is August 12.**
The Information Lab has a simple mission: to help people make sense of data. We believe that companies that use data well will have better futures than those that don’t. We have helped clients such as The Vanguard Group, JPMorgan Chase, PwC, State Street and ViacomCBS do just that through specializing in and consulting on the leading products for data visualization and data integration - Tableau and Alteryx - since 2011.
As a consultant of the The Data School, you will experience on the job training that is far more immersive and rewarding than traditional roles. The Data School offers a 28-month contract where we will pay you $60k/year during the first 16 months and then $65k/year for the following 12 months to learn about data and technology from some of the greatest data experts across the world (including 8 Tableau Visionaries and two Alteryx ACEs).
You’ll undertake this intensive training over four months in our fantastic facility located in downtown Manhattan, just a stone's throw from Wall Street and the New York Stock Exchange. Then, you’ll showcase your new-found knowledge and skills with some of the biggest and most recognized blue-chip clients in the US in a series of placements following your training.
But there’s more to our training than just technical skills.
We don’t teach technology for technology’s sake, and we don’t teach in “any old way.” With support from your coaches and the wider team, you will learn broader skills about storing, managing and presenting data as well as personal skills to help boost your own confidence in becoming an exceptional consultant. We teach these skills in an inclusive and collaborative environment where everyone is responsible for each other’s development and success.
Our training and consulting focus on two software programs, Tableau and Alteryx, which you can excel at without coding knowledge. Our consultants come from different walks of life and many had never heard of Tableau before they stumbled across us (you can meet some of them here). The one thing they do have in common is a passion for problem solving, especially with data and evidence. If you share the same inquisitive nature and have a drive for uncovering truth with data, then The Data School could be the perfect next chapter in your career.
Everyone is welcome at The Information Lab and The Data School, no matter what your background is, your educational history, what you look like, or what topics you like to analyze in your own time. Diversity is an asset that helps us discover more varied stories in both our client’s data and the rest of the world’s. It suggests solutions and improvements for intractable problems in new and unexpected places. Will your passion help us solve the next generation of data problems?
Show us and start your journey with The Data School - we ask you to create a dashboard with a dataset of your choice.
- Find a dataset which interests you, the more you are interested in the subject the better the result will be.
- Download either the Tableau Public app or, if you are in full-time education you can apply for a Tableau Student Licence.
- Sign up and create a Tableau Public profile and publish your dashboard to it.
- Complete the application form and send us the URL to your dashboard in the box provided.
- Try to send in your first draft (when you're happy with it!) well in advance of the deadline for your chosen cohort.
- We will take a look and you will have the chance to iterate on your dashboard based on our feedback points.
- Some datasource resources (use Google also!): Makeover Monday, Kaggle, US Government Open Data, USA.gov, some other ideas.
We would love to hear from you if you are:
- comfortable working with numbers
- data driven
- a people person
- a problem solver
- a confident communicator
Facts and figures
- Location: 28 Liberty Street, New York, NY 10005
- Contract: 28 month fixed term
- Salary: $60k first year rising to $65k for the final two placements
- Vacation: 25 days paid time off
- Other benefits: Health Insurance, 401k, Laptop, Mobile Phone
We recruit 8 people every 4 months, with the option for applicants to specify a particular intake. Successful applicants will be offered a 28 month fixed term contract within The Information Lab with a starting salary of $60,000 per year, rising after the first 16 months. We can unfortunately only accept applicants for this role who have a right to work in the US. We use the federal e-Verify program to check the work authorization of all new hires.
We recruit from all degree disciplines and academic backgrounds and welcome applications from career changers. We are proud of our diverse workplace and do not discriminate on gender, ethnicity, race, or sexual orientation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Helping people make sense of data