Field Testing Coordinator and Researcher, Assessments
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with the mission to deliver a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. Our proven learning platform offers free, high-quality supplemental learning content and practice that cover Pre-K - 12th grade and early college core academic subjects, focusing on math and science. We have over 155 million registered learners globally and are committed to improving learning outcomes for students worldwide, focusing on learners in historically under-resourced communities.
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life, and so do we. Our team includes people from academia, traditional/non-traditional education, big tech companies, and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences because it makes our company stronger. We value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as necessary to achieve our mission and impact the communities we serve. We know that transforming education starts in-house with learning about ourselves and our colleagues. We strive to be world-class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
We’re seeking a Field Testing Coordinator and Researcher to join our Assessments team. The heart of this role is recruiting thousands of students from U.S. schools, facilitating those students answering a large series of assessment questions, and delivering the data to psychometricians for analysis.
Strong project management and recruiting skills are required, no qualitative research or analysis is needed for field testing, which is the bulk of this role. If time allows, you might also occasionally help support the Assessments and Teacher Experience product teams with small, contained qualitative user research projects.
What you’ll do:
- Recruit and coordinate field testing for our Assessments program.
- Work closely with psychometricians and the Director of Assessments to plan field testing activities and deliver data on time throughout the school year.
- Set a standard of operational excellence by driving your work effectively through strong project management, proactive communication, and a focus on outcomes.
- Balance multiple projects simultaneously at different stages, both tactical and strategic.
- As time allows, plan and execute inclusive, strategic, and valuable qualitative user research for the Assessments or Teacher Experience product teams.
- As time allows, contribute to and maintain our qualitative research repository in Dovetail.
WHAT YOU BRING
- You are motivated by the Khan Academy mission “to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere."
- You have 5+ years experience with planning, recruiting, and coordinating field testing for assessments.
- You have experience performing research with students, preferably in an in-classroom setting.
- You are able to interpret quantitative data and results (don’t have to be a strong quant researcher).
- You have the ability to juggle broad problems and opportunities along with smaller well-defined projects.
- You have proven cross-cultural competency skills demonstrating self-awareness, awareness of other, and the ability to adopt inclusive perspectives, attitudes, and behaviors to drive inclusion and belonging throughout the organization.
- You have exceptional verbal, written, and visual communication skills, with a strong ability to communicate to a wide variety of audiences, both technical and non-technical.
- You are comfortable in ambiguous situations and dynamic environments that run similar to a startup, where you regularly interact with and gather feedback from leadership.
- You are scrappy, have a bias toward action, and can move quickly.
- Bonus if you have a background in anthropology, sociology, or psychology.
Qualities we value in ourselves, and those who join our team:
- Introspective, mature, and emotionally intelligent.
- Invested in your own growth and the growth of our colleagues.
- Proactively seek out the people/information you need to move work forward and unblock yourself.
- High comfort level working within a strong product and pedagogical vision from our CEO Sal Khan and our CLO Kristen DiCerbo, PhD.
- Able to balance immediate tactical needs with scouting ahead for what’s next.
- Willing to roll your sleeves up and pitch in when a project goes off-script.
- Passionate about education and designing engaging learning experiences, deeply curious about how and why people learn.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well! We offer:
- Competitive salaries
- Ample paid time off as needed – Your well-being is a priority.
- Remote-first culture - that caters to your time zone, with open flexibility as needed, at times
- Generous parental leave
- An exceptional team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to do your best
- The chance to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Opportunities to connect through affinity, ally, and social groups
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and life
At Khan Academy we are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices, the well-being of our employees, and our Khan community. This belief is why we have built out a robust Total Rewards package that includes competitive base salaries, and extensive benefits and perks to support physical, mental, and financial well-being.
The target salary range for this position is $127,000 - $151,800 USD / $158,750 - $186,875 CAD. The pay range for this position is a general guideline only. The salary offered will depend on internal pay equity and the candidate’s relevant skills, experience, qualifications, and job market data. Exceptional performers in this role who make an outsized contribution can make well in excess of this range. Additional incentives are provided as part of the complete total rewards package in addition to comprehensive medical and other benefits.
MORE ABOUT US
The Design Team is a diverse, close-knit group of Designers and Researchers that spans many disciplines. We’re passionate about designing for the complexities of education and solving real problems for real people. We regularly make time to share, learn, create, and play as a team. What keeps us here: dedication to learners, our craft, and nurturing our unique, low-ego, rigorous culture. We listen carefully, think deeply, and move quickly, to help millions of learners all over the
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Sal's TED talk from 2023
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
OUR COMPANY VALUES
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.